Our goal is to teach children to be kind to others and to show their kindness, to be brave even when they are scared, and to enjoy each and every adventure they go on. Follow Flapjax (a troublesome teddy bear) and Libby (his human best friend) as they learn about and experience the big world around them.
After each chapter, we will post below a few lessons that particular Flapjax fable was telling. We’d love to hear feedback too, so please share your comments about the lessons you found in each story!
Chapter 1: Hero Flapjax
- Celebrate family! This post was meant to be a celebration of adoption and being part of your family.
- Be selfless! In Chapter 1, Flapjax puts Libby’s needs above his own, even though he was so excited to celebrate his big day.
- Be responsible! Sometimes being responsible means not doing something. Flapjax knows he’s can’t give Libby medicine — that’s the job of the grownups! He does what he can to help, but he leaves the rest to the grownups.
- Show gratitude! Libby is very thankful for everything Flapjax does for her when she is sick, and she makes sure he gets rewarded with his favorite things: hugs and ice-cream (with rainbow sprinkles, of course)!
Chapter 2: Skater Flapjax
- Chase your dreams! If you know what you want to be, do everything you can to get there.
- Ask for help! If you can’t do something on your own, ask your favorite humans to help you.
- It’s okay to be different! Don’t worry if you don’t like the same things as everyone else, it’s okay to choose a different favorite sport or favorite outfit or favorite food…DO YOU!
- Be smart and take a buddy! Make sure you have a buddy for every adventure…it’s smart, plus adventures are more fun when you can share them. And please always make sure your grownups know when you go on adventures!
- Beware of walking on frozen ponds! They’re not always as frozen as they appear… (The authors of this blog may or may not have learned this the hard way…)
Chapter 3: Holy Flapjax
- Always eat your breakfast! Or at the very least, don’t go to church hungry.
- Embrace your curiosity! If you don’t understand something, ask questions.
- Be sensitive! We all have our limitations — we all have trouble with different things. If you see someone struggling and you can help, let them know. Don’t judge others for not being able to do something you can do.
- Be careful! Some things are precious to people, even though you may not know why. Be careful with other people’s precious things.
Chapter 4: Pirate Flapjax
- Don’t hold a grudge. Sometimes our enemies can become great friends.
- Learn to swim, seriously…
- Don’t pressure friends into doing something they are not comfortable with.
- Respect personal space and individuality.
Chapter 5: Lost & Found Flapjax
- Be loyal. Don’t give up on your friends or family.
- Be kind. Especially to those who are trying to help you.
- Don’t steal. Even if you really mean to borrow it, always ask first.
- Be grateful for everything that you have. Show that gratitude to your humans, pets, and all friends as often as possible.